A while ago with ‘Shelfie’ I fixed the track and fitted point motors https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2013/06/16/superquick-track/ Whilst I’d been a bit ‘sketchy’ as the yoof would have it by using superglue to fix the track down, the Peco point motors (PL10-E) are fixed using the screws supplied. As they are solenoids they change with quite a thump too. Today I’m fixing point motors and wiring up the new layout boards. I’ve used Tortoise motors in the past and like them, well built, quiet and reliable ticks boxes for me, the only downside is their physical size. As they also allow polarity change at the point frog, I’m using that too. In the past I’ve fixed them as per instructions, screwing them to the baseboard. This time I’m trying a different approach, and taping them to the boards.
I’ve found that in builders merchants you can get various thickness and strength double sided tapes, for holding windows in place whilst fitting. I found a 2mm thick foam variety and I’m trying this on the tortoises’. All of them have the full contact area covered with tape to get the best adhesion and with the switch arm and point blades centered firmly fixed by the tape to the underside of the board. The board is plain MDF with no prior preparation. The Peco points have had the overcentre spring removed and the sleepers replaced with the white plasticard sleeper in the image, so there is no resistance in the point blade movement, and a cosmetic improvement.
First results (16vAC),show the method has worked, the foam also reducing the point motor actuating sound further. Full dropper wires and isolating sections in next and a shakedown test of a couple of days intense use in DC the primary use, and DCC modes. Then it’ll be on to presentation and lighting rigs, and I’m thinking of a very different presentation for viewers, to get the full benefit of the station area. More on that once the shakedown has taken place, there’s always a chance a curved ball comes up in this phase so I don’t start the scenics and presentation until the train set itself is working to a sort of high ninety percentile reliability.
Looking good P. Only comment I’d make is that maybe a gloss surface might make a better ‘hold’ for the tape? For example, a splosh of paint or varnish to create that gloss?
I did consider it, but the first one appeared to be rock solid after fitting, so continued without any changes. I’ll give you a call to come and play on the shakedown running.
Try DCCconcepts Cobalt analogue or ip motors- half the size, quieter, more powerful and a better build. Now I use the red “no more nails tape’ . The motors are then almost silent and it sticks like crazy with or without varnish.
Thanks Brian, the tape has failed on three of them so I either need better tape, or I’ll fix with screws and use the tape as cushioning.
Screws will transfer the sound. I will send a photo of the tape I use on Monday- when I get back to Johannesburg from Cape Town. My tape is still going strong after 18 months use!
Thanks Brian, I was pretty certain the idea would work, I’ve just got to get the right tape!
Check out Unibond.co.uk (made by Pattex in South Africa) The red double sided tape has a 120 Kg rated strength- works for point motors anyway and sticks like crazy. I tried dozens of products before I discovered it!